Monday, February 25, 2019

Warning: Don't Promise To Do Until You Can Follow Through

Copyright 2009 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
This blog post was transferred from another service.

Michael Rosenberg may've had his tongue wedged firmly in 1 of his cheeks - tongue in cheek: speaking in jest - as he wrote, "Move it, prego! I need coffee!" for The Detroit Free Press. His article can push a funny bone or a sore spot.
http://www.freep.com/article/20090323/FEATURES01/903230320/1081/Upscale%20retailers%20feel%20our%20pain%20%20cut%20costs

To find how sore this spot is use a search engine to search for "EXPECTING MOTHERS parking spots".

Rosenberg is daring like The Fearless Freep - the high diver Bug Bunny promoted.

My point in this post is to advise you to be careful about doing something if you may change it later. If you prominently promote it as temporary, you may escape some complaints.

Some stores & malls have/had reserved parking for pregnant women. When it's in effect, people complain about unfairness. When it's discontinued, people complain about that.

I know some will complain when I use an analogy, it may be because they're very analytical. I don't know if anybody would complain if I stop using analogies.

Analogy: In The Fearless Freep cartoon (before the days of freep.com), Yosemite Sam wanted to watch a high diver. Bugs Bunny sold him some tickets. After that, Fearless Freep sent a telegram to let Bugs know he couldn't perform that day. Sam didn't want a refund or rain check; he wanted the show he paid to watch.

He tried threats & physical force to get Bugs to dive. It didn't work.

Here's how it ties in with this & similar articles & issues: When some people perceive a promise, they expect the promise to be fulfilled.

They may not get what they want, but they'll still make things miserable for anybody who crosses them.

Before doing anything, you should extrapolate what'll happen if you start & if you stop.

Some people, like Professor Wagstaff (Groucho Marx) in "Horse Feathers", are against everything. "I don't know what they have to say, It makes no difference anyway -- Whatever it is, I'm against it! No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it."

Whatever you don't do or do, somebody will be against it.

Those, who vigorously praise you for doing something good, may denounce with equal vehemence if you stop.

If people accept your offers or approve of your kind gestures, they'll be very upset if they perceive you reneging. Your popularity will take a dive. If you reinstate what they want, your public opinion may rebound a bit.

I know big firms use "forward-looking statements" as a disclaimer, I advise you not to do it.

Don't sell tickets or promote anything unless you're sure you can follow through. Even if Fearless Freep sends a telegram & you show it to people, they may not accept the excuse. I'm sure you don't want Yosemite Sam telling you, "I paid to see ya dive & I'm goin' ta."

Thank you for using my blog. Please let me know if I should clarify anything.

Copyright 2009 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
When you compete against big businesses with big budgets you need powerful marketing strategies & tactics. You'll find them here-
https://thriving-small-businesses.blogspot.com/
http://www.voy.com/31049/

No comments: