Monday, February 25, 2019

Be A Guerrilla Marketer, But Don't Own A Guerrilla Market

Copyright 2008 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
This blog post was transferred from another service.

It's times like this I feel like warning you, Marketing can be dangerous.

In this post, I'm warning you about 2 mistakes, plus I'm giving a valuable tip.

I've heard a radio commercial quite often about the opportunity to buy foreclosed properties. I voluntarily listen to 5 radio stations (besides those my children & other tenants listen to). I somewhat listen to commercials since they're part of marketing. I never tracked this commercial to determine if it's repeated everyday on any stations.
Today, I finally heard a significant part of it. The announcer said, "If your last name starts with A to N, call today. Others call tomorrow. DON'T DELAY."
HUH?!?

I've wondered before how often this commercial is broadcasted on particular stations. But today, I noticed, "DON'T DELAY."
My last name starts with V, so am I always supposed to call tomorrow? Every time I hear this commercial on whatever days it is, I'm supposed to call tomorrow. Would that mean I'm required to delay?!?

My advice: Be careful about what you, your copywriters or marketing consultants write. Even if I write it for you, be sure it's what you intend to communicate.

Be A Guerrilla Marketer, But Don't Own A Guerrilla Market
Guerrilla Marketing is an analogy Jay Conrad Levinson based on Guerrilla Warfare.

(For more information about it you can peruse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla
Guerrillas pop up, inflict injury & damage, then it seems they're gone. The occupational forces can't find them. Don't take the analogy that far or you'll own a Guerrilla Market. If your market - store - only pops up occasionally in people's minds, you'll only have enough sales occasionally.
Too many small retailers pop up occasionally, then seem to disappear. Consumers tend to stop looking for them or just forget them after taking advantage of a promotional offer.
Small retailers are too easy to forget. Jay Conrad Levinson advises Guerrilla Marketers to market consistently, but too often small retailers can't afford to advertise consistently.
Small retailers need the right tools to be to remembered for the right reasons at the right times.
Listing & describing those tools is beyond the scope of this orientation.

Some of these tools are branded customer service; superior - relevantly focused - positioning & branding; their optimal USP/PA; affordable promotions; well-trained staff & store owners; 3 Ps; defined & refined RPV; & context focused marketing messages.
USP = unique selling proposition &/or ultimate strategic position.
PA = preemptive advantage.
3 Ps = policies, plans & procedures.
RPV = resources, processes & values.

Thank you for using my blog. Please let me know if I should clarify anything.

Copyright 2008 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
When you compete against big businesses with big budgets you need powerful marketing strategies & tactics. You'll find them here-
https://thriving-small-businesses.blogspot.com/
http://www.voy.com/31049/

No comments: