Friday, February 22, 2019

Can positioning really be that complex?

Copyright 2010 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
This blog post was transferred from another service.

I heard so - too - many marketing concepts.

Just when I think I have it figured out I hear something else or somebody say something different.

Some say it's all the same.

How can I position my store when I have no clear idea what a position is?

I compete against big stores & small chains. It seems they have every position already unless I don't what a position is!

I know I've misspelled some words, but I need to get on with other things. If what I write showed the inside of my head, I'd misspelled so much it'd seem like a different language.

Please let me know what positioning is & how I & my friends can position our stores!

I need some good fireworks now so this doesn't blow up in my face.

Subject: Confusion about USP, Preemptive Advantage, Branding & Positioning
In reply to: "Can positioning really be that complex?"

There's still a lot of confusion about Unique Selling Proposition, Unique Selling Advantage, Unique Buying Proposition, Preemptive Advantage, Branding & Positioning.

I wonder if some of the confusion may be because some of us try to explain those concepts at the same time. Too much information in a short time can be rough.

I'll explain my definition of Positioning (hopefully it'll be brief) without including those other concepts.

Instead of trying to explain each concept & all terms I've used, I opted to keep this short & straight forward. I didn't include much about how to use the concepts.

I started with a simple concept to develop my definition from basics to intermediate. I'm not trying to be condescending.

1st: A position is a place in time & space. A physical thing can't be in more than 1 place at a time. It's similar in our minds. To avoid confusion in consumers' minds, your store should occupy 1 spot.

2nd: Imagine your store being the concept of positioning. Positioning is the same concept even if people think it's something else. Problems start when you have it figured out, then somebody tells you it's different.

If you offer jewelry, a customer may tell a friend your jewelry is great for people who ride Harley Davidson motorcycles. If that isn't further explained, that friend may avoid your store or may show up & be disappointed.

I've heard there are bikers & motorcyclists. They may buy the same brand & possibly the same motorcycle model, but their lifestyles are different.

Lacking definitions (or too many definitions) causes misunderstandings. If somebody misunderstands a message about your store, that confused message may replace a correct understanding of your store.

Positioning is about identity & a place in consumers' minds. Your store can be number 1 in a retail category (especially if you create a category). If you create a category people don't understand you'll need more effort, money & time to establish & position your category & store's position in the category.

Creating an irrelevant category would be somewhat like a spider finding a safe place for a web. Predators may not find it, but insects (food) probably wouldn't either. Maybe there wouldn't be any competitors (other spiders) because there are no profits available there.

When competitors establish categories, they invest resources to do it. You may be better off being in an established category. You can still differentiate your store in a competitive category.

Some people say Walmart is in so much legal trouble so often because it's so big (visible). That may be part of it. Being at the top & staying there can be rough.

With the right marketing, you can use big competitors & THEIR success to increase YOUR success without litigating.

Retail categories can be thought of in the context of what stores offer to whom & how merchandise is offered.

Walmart still tries to be a place where middle class women buy fashionable apparel. Many female Walmart customers just want clothes that look, feel & fit great.

Even the words & grammar can be important.

Fashionable apparel can give a favorable impression, feel fabulous & be the right size.

It depends how it's presented. What's the difference between a fiddle & a violin? How people play them. In retail, Walmart is a fiddle & Nordstrom is a violin.

Example: I had a search done in Walmart.com for Jason Wu, the results I got are in the camera brand GE Create by Jason Wu. GE Create by Jason Wu products are available from Walmart.

I had a search done in Nordstrom.com for GE Create by Jason Wu; the response I got is Your search produced 0 items. We're sorry, but no items match the search you requested.

Example: Jason Wu 'Nori' Splatter Print Silk Dress $1,295.00 is unlikely to be in Fiddle Mart, but Nordstrom has it.

There are spaces for positioning between Fiddle Mart & Nordstrom. Many are occupied, but by talking to consumers, being creative & testing products & offers, you could find a relevant position.

Thank you for using my blog. Please let me know if I should clarify anything.

Copyright 2010 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
When you compete against big businesses with big budgets you need powerful marketing strategies & tactics. You'll find them here-
https://thriving-small-businesses.blogspot.com/
http://www.voy.com/31049/

No comments: