Friday, February 22, 2019

somethings aren't adding up

Copyright 2015 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
This blog post was transferred from another service.

I don't understand or maybe I don't believe how you & so many others spew advice based on the assumption that people are rational!
Rational people are a small, unprofitable niche. Rational marketing & irrational consumers don't mix.
You figure as long as we do what you advise, we'll be successful. Hello it doesn't quite work that. NOw what will we do?

Subject: Marketing Based On Rational Conclusions Or Irrational Assumptions
In reply to: "somethings aren't adding up"

Hi,

I don't recall claiming my advice is all inclusive or guaranteed. You seem to imply irrational marketing would be a viable option.

First, I'll respond about rationality & irrationality. I also have some general advice about testing other methods. The amounts of money are just general guidelines that won't apply to all circumstances.

I admit I'm among those authors who seem to write advice as if all consumers are rational. Yet I've also written about purchase decisions based more on emotion than logic. I write based on models - paradigms - which aren't accurate for everybody or every situation.

Models are based on perceptions of reality, but no model IS reality because nobody can perceive reality in its totality, as Deepak Chopra said.

We'll never perceive total reality of any time period because there are too many things to be aware of. I know some people are frustrated because nothing they read offers complete solutions.

Many Forms Of Irrationality

Irrationality can be observed at different levels/degrees & be different kinds. It's like irrationality can be skewed in various directions. Which direction(s) should we write about & how far in any direction?

We could examine irrationality about inventory selections (wide or deep) or the amount of perceived control people will tolerate.

Selection can be in terms of size & colors. If you only stock primary colors, you could be accused of discriminating against people who like pastels. If you stock big products, people could be upset about your "disregard" for small people who don't wear big clothes & can't carry big products.

Despite what some may think, is a limited selection a way to control what people can own? Or is there a limit to what can be displayed & offered?

There are always too many permutations for anybody to fully cover every potentially usable nuance. Somebody, who may find a potentially definitive way to attract some irrational people, could be unappealing people who are irrational in a different way.

Rationality is relative & open to interpretation.

My actions are always rational, or I wouldn't do them. In (20/20) hindsight, I can notice the results or lack of results. I wish I'd have made some other choices.

When we notice what somebody did, we're looking back but we don't know exactly how a person perceived a situation. If we could be in a person's total internal & external situation before an action, we could judge rationality.

I'm not trying to excuse anybody for action or inaction. Each of us is responsible for what we did & didn't do, plus what & how we contributed to or aggravated the total situation.

I can combine many valid insight & concepts to design an offer I think any "rational" clients would accept. I realize conditions interfere with choices.

My Personal Example

Example (I'm not bragging or complaining, just explaining) - I chose to take on my parents' situation. There are many other things I would do if I hadn't accept this responsibility.

I get offers & sales reps wonder why I don't respond as others have. I have traits in common with their other prospects. I have high priority jobs-to-be-done, but there's a big job I'm still working on besides my personal jobs.

I could earn thousands of dollars if my situation were different.

Should I be attending to my health instead of taking somebody else's load? Am I making rational or irrational choices? Anybody could judge that in any way.
So, in marketing, what's the answer?

Be sure you make conservative tests. The advice below is very general because I don't know what your conditions are.
If your cash flow is about $2,000 per week, depending on your expenses & profit margins you should invest $20-$200 on testing per week (1% & 10% are just options).

When you have positive, indicative results, you should base the cost of your roll-out on: 1- your current finances; 2- the possible levels of changes in situations between when you tested & when you'll roll-out; 3- the amount of money you're likely bring in with your roll-out.

Thank you for using my blog. Please let me know if I should clarify anything.

Copyright 2015 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
When you compete against big businesses with big budgets you need powerful marketing strategies & tactics. You'll find them here-
https://thriving-small-businesses.blogspot.com/
http://www.voy.com/31049/

No comments: