Saturday, June 25, 2016

What Kind of Business Should I Have?


Subject: What Kind of Business Should I Have? Author: Larry

NOTE - This message was sent to me via my e-mail address. I'm posting it here to help you.
I only post what people send, I don't correct spelling or grammar.
If you like to send me a question and have me post it, then please do that.
My e-mail address is - thrivingbusiness@email.com

Hi there!!!

I was just browsing through Yahoo when I came across your wonderful website but given my deadlines at work (I am still
working for someone else i.e not self-employed yet) I could not read through a lot of important stuff you have in there.

All I need is information regarding what business can I venture into.I have currently raised about R30 000(About $5000),and currently looking for some small business that I can start but that firstly :won't require a huge capital
investment,secondly it should not require 100% of my time as I am currently working for some other IT company but it should be a viable option.

Even though it can earn me some R1000($250) per month.The idea is I want a secondary income as my current salary is way too low to make ends meet.

I am South African but I am sure anywhere in a capitalist market,good business ideas will always thrive. I have started up a small car-wash and valet service business but it is not doing very well. My cousin is helping me take of the business but it is not making enough moolah yet,i guess we are just breaking even as we can just afford to pay the rent, rates & taxes,other expenses and that's it.

We have been going on for almost a year now and I do not think it's a succesful venture.

If you can please advise me on ways I can make this car-wash thingy work or should I give up on it and start something new with the money I have raised, or should I rather keep my money in the bank (though banks give very little interest in return).

Your urgent response will be appreciated.

Regards Larry

NOTE - I answered his questions via e-mail but I'm also including my answer for him here.


Subject: Re: What Kind of Business Should I Have? Author: Dennis S. Vogel

Here's the answer I sent to Larry. The questions I asked him to consider may pertain to you and your situation too.

Hi Larry:

I could give you advice that might help you get some profit from your business. Considering what you wrote, I don't know if that would be best for you.

I'd need more details to customize my advice for you.

I'm not able to able to make your decision, but I can give you some guidance.

There are many things to consider here -
1) Do you like the car-wash and valet service business?
2) If you closed the business down, would you feel frustrated?
2a) If so, why would you feel frustrated?
2b) If  you wouldn't feel frustrated, would you feel relieved because having the business is a burden?
3) Why do you have that business? 3a) Is it because it seemed like a way of getting money?
3b) Or because you enthusiastically want to do it/you're passionate about it?
4) Does it seem like you have a car-wash and valet JOB instead of a BUSINESS?

A personal note - I used to be a janitor just to bring in money for myself and my family. But when I cleaned, I did it to my standards. If I didn't like the results, somebody's compliments were meaningless. When I returned to work the next night, I was mad if somebody messed up what I did.

I was glad to quit because I dislike the company & because I want to be a marketing consultant.

So how might this apply to you?

How would you feel if you just cleaned a car and got paid for it, then you saw somebody throw mud on it?

Could you walk away from your current business and not feel bad about it?

Is it reasonable to think that you should have a profitable business by now? For most businesses, one year isn't long enough to get a profit.

If you make the business profitable, you may be sell it and use the money to start a different business.

If you decide to stay in your current business, let me know.
I can give you some advice if you give me some details about it.

Warmly,
Dennis
thrivingbusiness@email.com
When you compete against big businesses with big budgets you need powerful marketing strategies and tactics.

Updated Response -

Where I live in the USA, car wash businesses are in buildings & have machines to do the work. Some of these car wash businesses have self-service vacuum cleaners for customers. 

I've heard about some custom car wash businesses. Instead of relying on machines to do all of the work, employees clean the vehicles. They give customers other options. Some options are advanced formula waxes, cleaning vehicle interiors & detailing work, 

Detailing can include removing small, shallow dents, removing rust & fixing small scratches.

Your valet service could overlap with your car wash. Valets can drive vehicles to your shop & deliver the vehicles after the work is done.

Based on the popularity of Uber & Lyft, people might want chauffeur service at scheduled times &/or unplanned rides.

Business Team Work Adds Value

You can add more revenue & profit by helping other business owners add more value.

You could work with mechanics by providing rides for people whose vehicles are being serviced.

During unpleasant weather, you might provide service for store customers. If you bring people from homes & work places & drive up to store entrances. After they finish shopping, your drivers can help customers with their packages & bring people to their next destinations. 

Unpleasant weather is whatever atmospheric issues people don't like. So, this business could be consistent, especially when people enjoy the services.

Thank you for using my blog. Please let me know if I should clarify anything.

Copyright 2016 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
When you compete against big businesses with big budgets you need powerful marketing strategies & tactics. You'll find them here-
https://thriving-small-businesses.blogspot.com/
http://www.voy.com/31049/

No comments: