Wednesday, June 22, 2016

How to market a Software Game?

Subject: How to market a Software Game? Author: veerla

Hi,
I developed a software application which plays some game with the users. The game could be more interesting for students as it deals with words in Dictionary.
I want to launch this product into the market.
I would like to know how to select the Market Segment and how to advertise my product.
Could anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Veerla.


Subject: Re: How to market a Software Game? Author: Dennis S. Vogel

Hi:

I don't know which grade level(s) your product is for. If what I wrote below doesn't apply to your situation, please give me more details so I'll have a better chance of helping you.

Let's try this for starters -
The public school my daughter is in has "Book Fairs" to raise money for the school. (This is necessary because of budget cuts.) But they sell candy, software and other things too.

If you have connections (or want to establish some) in a school or school system that sells things like this, you may be able to find out if one or more teachers will endorse the game.

Some teachers here are active in fund-raising. If that's the case where you live, they may be eager to try your game if you tell them you want it used as a fund-raiser. But their endorsement(s), if any, should be impartial.

You'd end up letting them try out a copy possibly with students. Consider a cost of operations donation.

There's a possible snag here. Does your software run on PCs or Macs?

The classrooms, where my daughter goes to school, are equipped with Macs.

If one or more teachers will endorse your game, you can ask the principal or school administrator about them selling copies of your game to raise money. S/he may refer you to the leader of the PTO (Parent-Teacher-Organization).

In addition to PTOs, boy scouts, girl scouts, The Big Brothers/Big Sisters organizations may be interested in helping you sell your game also if you'll donate some of your profits to them.

You should be willing to do this because they'll get you sales you may not get any other way. Whether or not donations like this would be tax-deductible is something you ask an accountant or the IRS.

If the game does well in fund raisers, then you'd have a target market. If you can get testimonials from teachers and those in the PTO (or other grooups) about it's effectiveness and the level of sales, you may be able to get store owners to stock it.

Store owners don't want to fill shelves with products that people won't buy. If you show that your game is popular they won't be so shy about stocking it. If they don't want to buy it wholesale, offer them a consignment arrangement.

The basic way this would work is -
You leave (let's say) 10 copies with them. Then you'd go back in a week or a month to check how many they have left. They'd pay you for any copies they don't have left unless some were returned as defective or damaged.

They may only stock your game if you advertise it. (Too often if a product isn't advertised people won't know it exists, so they won't buy it.)

If that's the case, let me know and I'll suggest a few low cost ways of doing it. I may be able to help you with some compelling sales copy also.

Now if you've read some of my other posts, you know how I feel about Wal-Mart. However, if you're able to 1) show buyers of big stores how well your game has sold in small stores and 2) produce thousands of units, you may be able to get it sold on a national basis.

If you're just starting in your business, you should start out by testing your product in small risk situations.

Thanks for the question.

Thank you for using my blog. Please let me know if I should clarify anything.

Copyright 2016 Dennis S. Vogel All rights reserved.
When you compete against big businesses with big budgets you need powerful marketing strategies & tactics. You'll find them here-
https://thriving-small-businesses.blogspot.com/
http://www.voy.com/31049/

2 comments:

Dennis S. Vogel said...

Subject: Re: How to market a Software Game? Author: veerla

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
The economic environment in our country (India) is not so conducive for selling Software Games. The number of computer users itself is very little. So, I want to target Internet Market.

I need some information about internet marketing as I'm a beginner in this field.

How should I distribute my product? - Should I manufacture CompactDisks or Could I distribute it through a WebSite.

How do the financial transactions take place? I have an international credit card. How to use it in financial transactions? How do I provide security to Software and CreditCard from hackers?

How to initiate and advertise my product on internet?

Could you please provide me some knowledge about these queries?

Thanks,
Veerla.

Hi Again:

There are liability & legal issues you should check. I'm not a lawyer, so I won't try to give you legal advice.

I haven't studied internet financial practices. Some well-known personal computer software security companies also offer programs for web sites.

You need to be sure you get coverage for each region you intend to sell in.

The countries of your service providers can make a difference. Example - When I tried to buy a downloadable program, my transaction was run through Cypress.
The financial institution handling my account blocked the payment. I was told I could unblock my account & allow enough time for the transaction to be run. It would allow any hackers to get into my account also until I blocked it again. I declined it.

Since words have different meanings in various nations, you need to be careful about what you agree to & what you expect of others who might buy from you.

Since your game is educational, the words & dictionary you use for your game may be different than what game buyers use.

If the words/vocabulary are pretty much universal, the UK, Australia & New Zealand could be good markets for you.

If your game includes spoken words, people might be confused by regional pronunciations.

If you can find somebody else who is marketing products or services to the same market segment, you should seriously consider working with them if -
1) Their ethics are like yours
2) You can work out an agreement that's good for all of you involved

You may be able to sell your product to somebody who is already marketing to the segment you want to reach.

I've listed some resources below that might help you with the knowledge you need to reach your goals.

MediaPost offers multiple publications & online articles http://www.mediapost.com/

MarketingSherpa http://www.marketingsherpa.com/index.php

MECLABS http://www.meclabs.com/

I wish you well. Thank you for using my discussion board.

Dennis S. Vogel
Your business will thrive, no matter who your competitors are, if you market it powerfully and do everything else correctly.

Dennis S. Vogel said...

Update:

Achieving AIDA (Awareness, Attention, Interest, Desire, Action) often depends on reaching multiple value chain levels & endorsers.

You need to define & refine your niche & who is available to help you reach your niche.

I've described an article that can help you determine if consumers will search for product/service information. If they search or infer information, what's important to them? How motivated are consumers to search for solutions & choose solutions from among options.

This article is worth reading –
Why Great New Products Fail by Duncan Simester
Magazine: Spring 2016 Research Feature March 15, 2016 Reading Time: 18 min

Companies often don’t focus enough on understanding how customers decide what to purchase.
http://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/why-great-new-products-fail/

I have a hard copy/paper issue. Unfortunately, by the time you read this, it could be out of stock in stores. You might need a digital/online version.

It's important to realize restrictions of potential endorsers. If a teacher recommends your game, will consumers assume it's an official school (district) endorsement? Administrators might forbid all endorsements. Administrators might allow some endorsements if they understand product/service benefits & disclaimers specify endorsements are personal, not official.

Dennis S. Vogel
Your business will thrive, no matter who your competitors are, if you market it powerfully and do everything else correctly.